Viking Yacht Company, Jan. 14, 2022 – ”Great things happen at the Viking Yacht Company every day. Last Friday was particularly special another milestone, in fact. The Viking Plant Engineering Department pulled the mold that will soon be used to build the hull of Viking’s new flagship the Viking 90.
It was a massive undertaking, requiring more than a dozen team members and all sorts of heavy machinery and equipment that included two cranes (with a combined 180-ton capacity), five forklifts, two scissor lifts and a 150-ton Travelift. And being January in New Jersey, it was a little chilly. But as youll see in this video recap, the job went smoothly thanks to methodical planning and precise teamwork. Construction of hull No. 1 begins this spring; the boat will make its world premiere at the 2023 Miami International Boat Show.
- The fiberglass mold and its supporting fixture weigh a combined 50,000 pounds.
- Six tons of steel were necessary to provide the strength needed for the fixture, which plays the critical role of supporting and maintaining the shape of the mold.
- The fixture also consists of trunnions that allow the mold to be rotated on its turning rig during the build process.
- Forklifts were used to pull the plug-mold structure out of the R&D Department.
- With cables attached to the fixture, the cranes separated the mold from its plug (created with Viking five-axis CNC router) and rotated and lowered it to the ground on its trunnions.
- The mold was then lifted and transported via cradles back into R&D where it is being sanded, buffed and prepared for use.
A fleet of boats is slugging it out at the 50th Annual Invitational Gold Cup Team Fishing Tournament. In the mix is the newest contender on the tournament trail the Viking 64 Convertible. She making her Florida tournament debut at the Sailfish Club prestigious event. Next week shell fish the Buccaneer Cup then hit the boat show circuit with appearances at the VIP and Miami International Boat Show. The Nardo Grey battlewagon is powered with optional MTU Series 12V 2000 M96X (2002MHP) engines and has been turning heads since her world premiere at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show.
Today is the last day to sign up for the Viking and Valhalla Boatworks VIP Boat Show. This private event features the industry-leading Viking and Valhalla Boatworks fleets. Held Friday, February 4, and Saturday, February 5, this exclusive show takes place at Viking’s state-of-the-art Viking Yacht Service Center in Riviera Beach, Florida. To RSVP to the VIP, please click here. (Log into your Viking Personal Portfolio, or create one, and select Register for a Boat Show.) You must RSVP as space is limited.